Over the last few days I have had the opportunity to have some meaningful discussions about educators. These discussions caused me to reflect on a number of different things and therefore I may ramble a bit.
Inevitably whether its on Facebook, Twitter or in person you can't escape the topics of blended learning, ed tech, and online learning.
All of these topics are important and I just wanted to share some of my reflections with you from these conversations.
There are some important factors to keep in mind with all of these concepts and ideas.
- Student Learning is the priority
- Technology serves as an accelerator but pedagogy is the driver
- Learning and lessons need to be meaningful
- Collaboration, critical thinking, ask questions etc Life skills or what others call 21st century skills are more important than merely knowing the facts
- Students need to understand that they are part of a global world and making goal connections are important
Technology can provide and help with all of these and enhance the learning experience. However the education and learning goals need to drive the use of technology and using technology for its own sake is not effective and often can be counter productive.
While I understand and know what many refer to as the tuition crisis again this can't and shouldn't be what drives the use of technology in our schools. Student learning and learning goals come first. No educator would suggest ( at least in private schools) a class size of 30-40 because it saves money. There it is clear it goes against educational norms and best practice. The same has to be taken into account when discussion a schools use of technology
Those are my quick reflections and ramblings.