Sharing ideas on Education, Leadership and Life



Thursday, January 9, 2014

Not Losing Focus

I mentioned in my post yesterday that I have been in a rut and honestly, I think I lost some of my focus and motivation. I just finished reading "Causes and Cures in the Classroom" by Margaret Searle.

The book ends with the following; "The dream most of us went into teaching with was to make a significant difference for our students. The way to do that has nothing to do with quick fixes or canned programs. It has to do with teachers who genuinely care and are always looking for better ways to help students help themselves." 

This really spoke to me both about education and about life. Too often we get caught up with what is the latest trend or am I using the most cutting edge tools and technology available. While that is important and we need to be current we can't lose focus on what really counts and why we are educators.
At the end of the day the bottom line as Margaret and others have said is that we need to show students that we care about and as my friend Angela Maiers says we need to show them that they MATTER

I would say that  "Not Losing Focus" is one of those things that is easier said than done and perhaps as I outlined in yesterday's post "Moving Forward" we need to create a checklist.
These ideas are noting new and many of them, I have gleaned from all of you.


  • Making SMART goals
  • Showing our students and others that We care and that "You Matter"
  • Applaud the Effort 
  • Don't label, but rather guide and support
  • Do something positive every day 
  • Take time for yourself 
The list can go on. Please add your own thoughts 



Akevy

1 comment:

  1. Dear Akevy,

    I feel that I know what you are experiencing. I have had to work through a similar situation and had a really tough time in the process. As it is very personal, I won't go into detail here, but know that it will get better.

    I'm going to email you a suggestion for a book that I and several close, family friends have recently begun to read. It's not educational, but rather very life transforming. I will get in touch with you today!

    I leave you with these words of hope from a Pastor I admire: "Even if it looks like things are never going to change, you need to keep reminding yourself, that it's just a matter of time before things change in your favor. Advice that anyone could use...including the students that we serve.

    Cheers!
    -L

    ReplyDelete