Sharing ideas on Education, Leadership and Life



Sunday, August 15, 2010

The focus needs to be on the Students

There has been a lot of chatting on Twitter about No Child left Behind, The Race to the Top, as well as standards and teaching to the Test.
To be honest I have only taught in the private sector and I am not sure what the Race to the top actually is. Besides getting some money from a NCLB grant I don't know much about that either, and we don't have district standards that we must meet.
However Here is what I do know:
1. The focus of our teaching has to be on each individual student and meeting the needs of our students
2. We should be more concerned in creating an atmosphere the enables our students to be life long learners and give them the skills they need for life.
3. We have to engage our students and make the learning real and not just teach for a pen and paper test.
4.No matter what the government says we need to insure the success of all of our students. As the famous quote from Apollo 13 "Failure is Not and Option"
5 We as teachers need to willing to adopt and`change and meet the needs of 21st Century learners.

There is a lot that needs to change in our education system and I certainly don't know enough about what needs to change nor do I have the answers. However in my opinion in we would focus on the five points I mentioned above I believe we will go a long way to helping our students which has to be our primary concern

Those are my thoughts
Akevy

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right on with these 5 points. In fact, I think if we focused more on meeting the students' needs, we'd find better opportunities for kids to learn... for them to WANT to learn. Some kids come to school in the morning with so much baggage, and we expect them to learn? I want every single one of my students to know that I care about them- not just about their test scores.

    ReplyDelete