Sharing ideas on Education, Leadership and Life



Friday, September 19, 2014

Not Ready

picture: View Source : holidaysoftheworld.wordpress.com

This is the last Shabbat of the Jewish year with Rosh Hashanah just days away. We actually begin saying selichot this Saturday night.
I will be the first to admit I am not ready to stand before the King of Kings to be judged. I am a bad person, I don't think so. Am I perfect for sure not and I have a lot I could do better. 
This week I went to hear Charlie Harary speak. He mentioned the following points (to the best of my recollection) 
Rosh Hashanah is not about asking for forgiveness rather we are coronating G-D if you will as the King of all Kings. 
It i s a day of din of judgement. Judgement is order and as human begins seek that order in our lives and are upset when we don't understand why G-D acts sometimes the way he does. So in heaven on Rosh Hashanah the evil inclination is prosecuting our case against us and the power he has Harary said comes from us, our insistence on order and judgment gives him his power. 

How do we defend ourselves? 
The Shofar breaks the prosecutions case. How ?
Harary said that the shofar recalls Abraham's ultimate willingness to sacrifice his son. That willingness Haray said is ultimate Chesed when we say it's not me but you G-D. We give up on the idea of order and Din. Therefore the Evil Inclination looses its power. 

Here is the takeaway. Haray said as long as I factors into the conversation what's in it for me then we are still focused on Din and the case against us is huge, however if we give up the I and focus on the We, Us , and them and in this case on Him bring G-D then we are using the attribute of chesed and Din Judgment has no power. 

So while I may not be prepared for the awe of the day I know that I can and need to be there more for others. I need to give up some of the me and focus on what is good for my family and community.  I also know that all I have and all my blessings come from G-D so on this day of His coronation I say that  I will try to be better at giving up of myself and that what I have is really Yours. 

I hope that if we all give up a little of the I and me and invite more of the We we will not only be granted a year of health prosperity and peace but we will have a more fulfilling year as part of a community and as part of the greater Jewish community.

Wishing everyone a Kesiva Vchasima Tova may we be inscribed for a year of good health,wealth and peace . 

No comments:

Post a Comment