Sharing ideas on Education, Leadership and Life



Monday, August 11, 2014

Second Chances

Picture:www.communitysuccess.org  

If you have read my blog or follow me on twitter you will know that I am a  big believer in that we need to learn from our mistakes and that failure is really an opportunity for success. In other words, we always, always have a second chance. However, as many people are starting the new school year  there is one thing by definition we don't get to have a second chance with and that is making a first impression. 
Studies have shown that at times just from your body language people size you up and  you have already made your first impressions without even saying a word. 

Your first impressions have a lasting effect and can set the tone for the rest of the year. 

I would like to share with you a true story not from one of my shining moments.

I had been teaching for a number of years and I did some administration off and on. I accept a job  a full time teacher with the hopes of getting back into administration. What I was unaware of was the culture of the school. The school had a certain culture which was very rigid and very rule oriented (both of which go against my nature in dealing with students). So what I thought to be something that will build a relationship with my students was seen as being weak and that this guy is a pushover. It also had a negative impact on my relationship with the principal. After the morning routine, we walked our students out of the gym back the class. The students were required to walk on the blue line that outlines the gym floor. Well, either I never knew about the rule or chose to ignore it, I didn't adhere to that rule. The second day of school, I was already called into the Principal's office and told  that I must have my students follow that rule. 

To make a long story short, I knew by the end of the first month of school that I would not return next year . 

The impressions that my students formed and those of my principal lasted and stayed with me in truth haunted me the whole year. 

It is a natural thing the impressions we give off and sometimes it is even just our body language. I don't have any great advise just know, You Don't Get a Second Chance to Make a Good First Impression 

2 comments:

  1. You sure don't get a second chance... and sometimes the smallest & simplest thing that goes wrong can stick with us forever.

    I appreciate the honestly of your sharing in this post Akevy...

    As teachers we often talk about all the positives, but rarely the times where we faltered. I too have had such moments where I wished I could turn back the clock or handled an incident differently.

    The nice thing, the most critical piece that I take away, is the real opportunity to learn from mistakes.

    You don't always have a 2nd chance but you can do things differently the next time:)

    A great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you
    I have learned from that situation and from all situations.
    The funny thing is or the irony of it all is that I probably wouldn't have made my students walk on the blue line in any event.
    It was just not a good match
    Thanks
    Akevy

    ReplyDelete